Reverse Engineered Object: Progress II

In my first progress blog, I quickly tried to create some of the pieces from the coffee press to get an idea on the processes needed. I was over complicated a lot of things, like the 3 metal discs that go into the coffee press, or even just creating some of the smaller pieces. I realized that it's much easier to simply draw out some of the respective parts in 2D first (according to measurements, of course). I used commands such as 'revolve',  'boolean union', 'boolean difference', and 'extrudecrv' for the majority of my pieces.

Glass Pitcher:

For the glass pitcher, I was initially stumped on how to do it. I wasn't exactly sure how I would draw out the form in 2D, as the lip of the pitcher needed to be taken into consideration as well. 


I received help from Bryan and after much tinkering, we realized that we could use the 'rebuild' and 'points on' commands to go in and deform the object as needed.
By pulling some of the points away from the cylinder at the quadrant, we were able to easily create a spout. Then, in order to create a bevelled edge, the 'pipe' command was used. This worked perfectly!

The lid:

With the coffee press lid, I had to really think! After much humming and hawing, I drew out the profile of the lid in 2D and then revolved it, as you can see below:



I had to make some measurement adjustments to ensure the object was according to scale. I then used 'fillet edge' to create a nice beveled outer edge. 



In the lower portion of the lid, it actually sort of bends down at the quadrants and then comes back up again. Using 'rebuild' and 'points on' I was able to deform it until it looked exactly like the lid in real life. 


For the slits, I drew out the outer shape in 2D and then created bars of lines as per dimensions. I then grouped all the lines and used 'boolean difference' to cut out the required sections.


I was so excited to see them fitting together in perfect harmony.

Metal press discs:

After creating the discs in my progress 1 blog, it was easy to go in and create them again. I used a mixture of polar array, boolean difference, offset surface, spiral, pipe and flow to create them as needed.




Handle/metal carrier:

The metal carrier was by far the most difficult thing to create. I initially figured out how to create the top most ring but after that, I was stuck.



I started by drawing out the forms in 2D and going from there. I created a planar surface out of it and then offset the surface to create a solid. But I still couldn't figure out how to create the 'legs' of it. I first thought I needed to scan the object so that I could draw it out according to scale; however, Bryan said that I could just draw out the curved portion in 2D and then loft it. Then, I could stick the 4 together and assemble as needed. It worked out.


I also had to get some help on the metal lip that extrudes from the side as well. It's where part of the metal sits into the handle. Using pretty much the same processes, it came to fruition. I then placed the handle into the metal slot and used boolean difference to create a cut out in the plastic.




The handle was created in 2D first as well. I used 'fillet edges' to round the edges by a diameter of 2.5mm. 

Screws:


Assembling the screws was probably the easiest part of this project. First, I determined the diameter of the screws as needed. I then lofted them according to height. For the top curve of the screw, I drew a curve that ran from quadrant to quadrant. The curve was then revolved around the circumference of the circle. 

To create the slits on top of the screw, I created a rectangle according to the mm in my notes, extruded it and then used boolean difference to cut away the material. 

For the spiral portion, I created a spiral using the required diameter, pitch and height. I then piped them by a diameter of 0.75. The piped spiral was then joined to a cylinder using boolean union. For the second screw (is it called the anchor?!), I just inserted the spiral screw into the centre and made a boolean difference. Voila.

Some gratifying images:










Comments