Castle Project

 Object design! Ah, it's been a while :)

Here is a castle that I constructed using Rhino 3D software:


My cake/cartoon themed castle!

I wanted to make something that was reminiscent of a cartoon, or the same kind of shapes you'd find on a cake. I wanted to mostly use shapes that were rounded and stay away from things that were too angular or sharp.

Overhead view of the castle

I envisioned a floating castle that was covered in a spiral forcefield, containing magical powers. There are two tall towers with glass orbs on top on either side. These towers would generate an electric attack from the orbs in case an enemy were to approach.


Towers with glass orbs on either side

In the centre of the castle is a tiny golden tear-shaped building, where its residents (royalty) would reside. The spiral forcefield is fitted like a dome over the pink circular walls. There is a purple Hershey-shaped and nautical-inspired dome on top as well, which would also be another conduit of magic.

The golden tear-drop, spiral dome and purple dome

I also wanted to make some bushes. To do this, I used the star shape tool to create my shape first. I then rounded the corners using 'fillet-corners' and then I created a lofted tip using the 'rail-revolve' command. Once this was done, I used 'twist' to make it into the bushes I wanted.

A bush XD

To construct a pathway leading to the floating castle, I made these shapes that kind of look like cupcakes and then assembled them as needed.


One of the floating 'cupcakes'

I had a great time with this project as I learned some new commands in Rhino. I spent some time on youtube watching Rhino tutorials and experimented a bit before constructing my final idea. Some of my favourite new commands are 'rail revolve' and 'fillet curves', as well as constructing shapes using SubD.

It took some time figuring out how to make the spiral and how to use rail revolve properly. But now it's like second nature, thanks to all the practice I did.

Front view of castle


Overall this was a really fun project and I can't wait to get better at Rhino as the semester continues :)

Comments

Post a Comment