Papercraft Moon Wand - Final Revision

 

The Sailor Moon Moon Wand in all its beautiful glory!

Here is my final revision for the Sailor Moon Moon Wand! I ran into a few hiccups with this but I think overall it turned out really great! :)

As highlighted in my Prototype post, I knew that the final needed to be larger and that some of the pieces required larger tabs. I made the necessary revisions in Rhino and then sent them to Bryan to be laser-cut (this was the best shortcut ever because cutting all those pieces again would have taken hours!)




I simplified the final colours down to yellow, pink and grey. These templates are all much larger than the first and really helped during the construction phase.

Upon construction there were issues with the pink wand and octagon pieces. Although I made the tabs larger for the wand, it still wasn't enough to contribute to its structural integrity. This resulted in a slightly flimsy wand that was unable to really stand on its own *sad face*.

For the three octagonal pieces that fall below the crescent moon, I enlarged the holes in which the other pieces fit just slightly -- BUT this was a bad move. I really should have tested this first because the laser cut was so precise that it would have fit just perfectly. So I had to rotate these inner pieces ever so slightly to make it stick.


The 3 octagonal pieces which did not fit properly after I had made the holes larger

I really think that if we were able to make one more revision this wand would have been perfect! Considering as this is my first papercraft project, I'm happy with how it turned out and am really happy to have learned a brand new skill.




Comments