Reverse Engineered Object: Progress I

From my last post I was deciding whether or not to reverse engineer a coffee bodum or a harmonica. After looking at both of their separate parts, I decided that the harmonica would maybe be too easy to construct, as it focuses on more rectangular and flat shapes. I believe that based solely on challenge and success rate (haha) the bodum would work best for me. If there's a will, there's a way!!

I've began the planning stage by first drawing out each separate piece of the bodum. The pieces contain a ball and stem, an end cap, press, mesh and sieve, glass pitcher, carrier and handle.








I have quite a bit of work cut out for me. For now, I intend on solely honing in on the components that make up the sieve/press part, as well as the lid and stem/ball. My intention is to re-do the objects twice over, as the first run will be to understand how to create each independent part.


Here I was able to assemble the ball/stem, as well as the middle piece of the sieve. It was pretty easy to create.



Here is the cap portion of the pole, as well as the two other metal pieces of the sieve. 

Creating the spring part around the circular base took some work! At first I wasn't too sure how to go about it. As you can see from the photo, the springs go through their own holes, which encircle the entire diameter of the disc. Bryan was able to help me through this, and we decided that it works best to first create the spring, and then boolean union the spring to the disc, and then use boolean difference to split it. The holes can then be individually deleted.

For now, this is my first progress attempt. In my second progress blog, I will create the lid, glass bodum, handle and metal holder.






Comments