Custom Ring Creation

I decided to make a mushroom ring! 



I played around with different shapes to see what would make the top part of the mushroom look the best. I used interpolate curves for this process and this is what I initially came up with:



I realized that I didn't like how the stem sat on the ring. If this were to be printed, it wouldn't hold up and would be really fragile. I was satisfied with how the ring looked, however, and didn't make any changes to it.

I visualized a really cute looking mushroom in my head so I used this image I found off the internet. I traced it in 2D and then revolved it into a 3D object.



I used a metal material on both the ring and mushroom tops and used white paint on the dots. I like how three sit on the ring as opposed to just the one.

After the boolean union, it didn't keep the individual materials and just turned it into one material. I decided to make it all gold because it looked cool!





After exporting the file as an .STP file, I created a Shapeways account and uploaded it to the server. This is what the ring looked like after uploading:



I know that we were to check the structural integrity of the ring using 3D tools, but for some reason it didn't work for me? I'll ask Bryan in-class tomorrow to see what the issue could have been.

And finally, after rendering the image, this is my final product :)





I want to add that my new computer was able to render this image in 5 minutes!!! Huge step up from my old computer which took 3 hours at a time!

---- Update ----

After I plugged the ring into Shapeways and used 3D tools, it appears that the middle section of the band is too thin.


I tried testing other materials, like metal, to see if it would solve the problem, but it didn't. I really want to order this, so I went back into Rhino and recreated a band that would have the appropriate wall thickness. This is what I came up with:



This version of the band is much rounder compared to the other one. I do like thick rings tho, so I found this to be aesthetically appealling (to me)! Here's what the ring looks like in Shapeways after using 3D tools:



This is much better! I have decided to order this ring in steel with a gold plating. It unfortunately won't arrive until after the semester is over (!) but I'll definitely post an updated blog with the finished product.




Comments