Chess Set Creation: Ideas

After creating a mushroom ring, I thought it might be fun to create a mushroom themed chess set! I thought of a few other ideas as well, like an outer space theme, a gourd theme and a coffee theme... but I think the mushroom one would be odd and fun. Also my friends know I have a mild obsession with mushrooms?!

Here are some of my initial concepts/sketches:




A coffee themed one could be fun too! But I'm digging the organic shapes that are present in mushrooms so I'll probably just go with that.



I took inspiration from this mushroom chart. You can see that each mushroom possesses its own unique characteristics. I look forward to figuring out how to create a net over the morel mushroom. Also, these shapes will probably require supporting structures, as the tops of the mushrooms hang off the stem in a heavy set way. Or, I could print them upside down - this would solve potential printing issues for some of the mushrooms. I also need to figure out how I want the base of each piece to look like. Do I want something more cylindrical? Or square? Either way I'll play around with these ideas in Rhino to see what works best for form and function. 

After creating my mushroom ring, I have a general idea on how I will execute the creation of some of these pieces.






Comments