Surface Design Project: A New Pattern

 I finally had time to go back and make a new pattern. This pattern is based off of Punjabi phulkari designs - a specific kind of pattern created on drapery that is Punjabi in nature. It is often comprised of floral elements, but they also extend to geometry and other motifs.

I started by gathering specific patterns that would become the inspiration for the new pattern:



I knew that I wanted to have elements that resembled flowers, paisleys and chevrons, so I came up with these specific shapes:






I created a lot of custom shapes using the multiple points and curve through points commands. I further expanded upon my designs and came up with something like this:


I also added some more chevrons outside of the pattern so that I could repeat my pattern and have it look seamless. After the hatching process and adding colours that are bright (just like in Punjabi textile) I came up with this 'final' product:



Then, after repeating the pattern, it looks like this:


Here is how the pattern looks when the curves are hidden from view:





I am really happy with how this pattern turned out and I can't wait to see what it will look like once it's laser cut and shaded in grayscale. Thanks Bryan for letting me re-do this project!

Comments