Paper Project Prototype

When it comes to meaningful items in my life, I immediately thought about the Sailor Moon Moon Stick from when I was a kid! I seriously LOVE Sailor Moon (notice the present tense) and any millennial girl will admit that they wished they were either Sailor Moon herself or one of the Sailor Scouts. 

I actually owned this toy and am so sad that I don't know where it is now. These things are iconic.


Sailor Moon Moon Stick with Silver Crystal attachment

At first I didn't look like it would be THAT hard to make. I had to leave a few details out for now, but you can see what my prototype looks like below:

Rendered Moon Stick


Mesh wired Moon Stick

While I didn't run into any issues with its overall construction, I did find myself having difficulties unrolling certain portions of the pieces, specifically any beveled half spheres, or horizontal pieces that are on a slight angle.


Here is the portion of the wand that refused to roll flush to the ground plane.

The crescent moon piece will need to be broken up into 2 segments to fit on paper

After I had unrolled everything, I realized that I would need to scale everything down so that it could fit on the 8.5x11 inch printout square. Since I don't know how to do that by accurate proportion, I will need to ask in class. If I don't scale it down properly, the pieces will be too large or too small upon construction.

After assembling everything I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. This took a long time to create, especially during the unrolling and tab creation portion of the project.

Overall I am hoping to have figured out the scaling part by tonight so that I can have printed for tomorrow's class.

Comments